Saturday, August 31, 2013

I HAD A DREAM...

No, not THAT dream...that was MLK's dream.  This dream was a re-occurring dream that I had back in the late 60's, early 70's.  The dream was in black and white and was structured horizontally, the same way a television screen is formatted.  The dream contained very stark, expansive landscapes, as well as very specific images of people.  I didn't recognize any of the people and I wasn't familiar with the scenics... but they were not in Florida, or within any travel experience I had.  The landscapes were of the West, obvious influence from the cowboy shows I spent so much time watching on TV as a kid.
Cowboy Bob (age 5)

  The dream so impressed me that I actually would sketch the dream images in a little notebook when I woke up and before the distinct pictures evaporated from my memory.  In 1972 I bought my first 35mm camera.  By then I had lost or thrown out my little dream notebook but I had some recollection of the landscapes and the people.  I knew what photographs I wanted to make and threw myself into the process.  I bought the Kodak darkroom guide and taught myself how to develop film and print photos. The most excitement I got out of making, not taking, photographs was the face to face confrontation with people that I would photograph.  I loved to be an outsider that had to figure a way to break into the moment and make a photograph.  Partially directed by my long lost dream notebook,  I photographed, developed film and printed my photos.  I sold some of my work at local, juried art shows, craft fairs, and through word of mouth. 

 that's me on the left....circa 1972
during my starving artist era..
   later on in life when I stepped up to a Hassleblad medium format camera..
this was a full on model shoot for some actual $$$...

YOU GUESSED IT (to be continued)...  

No comments:

Post a Comment