Thursday, August 1, 2013

BACK IN THE DAY


In the early 50's, when I was about 5 years old, my favorite tv show was Winky Dink.  Winky Dink was a cartoon character that had to be helped along from time to time during the show by following dot to dot images on the tv screen with special crayons and a magic screen that attached to the tv screen.  Winky Dink would run up to a river and need a bridge to get across and the tv would have dot to dots to follow to draw a bridge for him.  When the bridge was finished, Winky Dink would magically cross the bridge that I drew.  Amazing...The Magic Screen and Magic Crayons were available for 50 cents.  That was the problem of course.  At 5 years old, I am not sure I knew what 50 cents was and even if I did know, I didn't have it and probably couldn't get it.  So I used regular crayons right on the tv screen to help Winky Dink along.  My dad convinced me of my mistake when he got home from work.  The family prized possession was the brand new tv now pretty much permanently scarred with Winky Dink's escape bridge....


No comments:

Post a Comment