Tuesday, September 10, 2013

I HAD A DIFFERENT DREAM (FINALE)

Before I got married in 1974, I lived in the Virgin Islands.  I pretty much lived day to day giving sailing and surfing lessons at St. Croix by the Sea Resort, painting the Cruzan Rum Distillery, and finally working for Project Headstart, Vista, and the Peace Corp in Mombiju in the rain forest area of St. Croix.



  Another job I had was installing a dock on Turquoise Bay for the lawyer on the island.  I put the pilings in the reefy floor of the Bay by hand and every once in a while the lawyer would help me.  I noticed his watch and fell in love with it.  I also fell in love with his 15 year old daughter, Lori.  The watch was a gold Rolex Submariner.
The daughter was tan and blond..... but back to my dream of making images that I drew in my sketch book....  While we were struggling to keep paying rent, car payments, insurance, etc., I kept thinking about lawyer Young's damn Rolex and how I would never be able to get on my feet enough to be able to afford a crappy watch, let alone a Rolex.  So based on that bit of selfishness and idiocy, I changed directions and decided I needed to do something that I liked AND would earn more money than me as a starving artist.  I tried to live with both dreams for a while but I didn't have the intellect or energy for both.
 ©bobpolli  NEVADA FALLS, YOSEMITE
 ©bobpolli
 ©bobpolli
 ©bobpolli
 ©bobpolli

©bobpolli

I visited one of my friends that was a law student at FSU and slept under his desk for a week and attended classes with him on the sneak.  I loved going back to school and the Socratic method of learning the law.  I was hooked.  Stay tuned for the rest of the different dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment