Friday, January 11, 2013

JH

When I lived in the Virgin Islands, I had only one record and I played that record over and over again.  It was the Jimi Hendrix Experience second album, "Axis, Bold as Love".  I played it on a little kids portable record player that i re-purposed (stole) from my job with project headstart up in the rain forests at mombijou in St. Croix.   The sound was tinny, but I loved each and every song on the album and, of course, knew the lyrics by heart.  "Castles made of Sand" was a favorite.  Right after the album's release in 1967,  I was in a advanced expository writing class (supposed to be an easy 4 credit "A").  I never went to class and was pinched for time on a paper that was due.  So i copied the lyrics of "Castles made of Sand" and turned them in.  The professor was old (probably in his 50's) and obviously had never heard of JH, the album,  or the song because he gave me an "A" (or he was a drunk and never read any of the papers and gave everyone an "A" ??)...Now, decades later, whenever I hear any cut from the Axis album, I go back in time to the then very peaceful and beautiful island of St. Croix.










No comments:

Post a Comment