Wednesday, January 2, 2013

DT-RIP

DONALD TAKAYAMA
NOVEMBER 16, 1944-OCTOBER 22, 2012

When i started to surf in the early 60's, Surfer Magazine had just started being published and available in Florida.  I think an issue was fifty cents or so, and could be purchased at the school library.  The fellas all had last period study hall in the library and would put our lunch money together to buy Surfer each month and then pour over every photo on every page.  I was immediatley impressed and influenced by the photos of a short, dark kid ripping small waikiki apart.  Donald Takayama had a style that I tried to copy but was never good enough to pull off.  Later on when Donald Takayama signature nose riders were available, I mowed lawns and worked at a crappy restaurant as a part time dish washer to save up the $150 for a DT board.  I have never forgotten those images from the 60's Surfer Magazine and from subsequent surf movies.  I was shocked (because DT was close to my age), and saddened upon hearing that DT passed.













No comments:

Post a Comment