Thursday, November 22, 2012

ONE, TWO, THREE...

"...WHAT ARE WE FIGHTING FOR?  DON'T ASK ME, I DON'T GIVE A DAMN, NEXT STOP IS VIETNAM"
vietnam song, country joe and the fish

On November 22, 1965, I turned 18 years old and duly registered for the draft.  I was a surfer and a skate boarder and didn't have a clue where vietnam was or any feelings one way or another about the war over there.  I spent a great deal of my youth playing cowboys and indians, and, later on, army with the fellas in the neighborhood.  My dad was a veteran of WWII and he had picture books of the war that fascinated me.  I watched "victory at sea" on television, gunsmoke, and sea hunt with lloyd bridges... and was happy going to the beach as much as i could....a surfer...a lifeguard...a certified scuba diver...and generally a happy guy.  



I attended college and received a draft deferment for attending college.  I didn't protest the war in vietnam but concentrated on surfing, skateboarding, beer, girls, and school (not necessarily in that order except for school being last)..In december of 1969, the government televised the draft lottery to make the draft system fair to everyone.  My birthday date was picked out of the random glass bowl number 9...

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment